Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cornell Notes Final


The final for this arts-based research image came out very illustrative. While contemplating how I wanted this image to be composed, they idea of having it available for my students seemed very appropriate as this professional development program dealt with a concept that was to be taught directly to the students. With this in mind, I kept picturing this image as a poster that could be hung in my room or printed as a handout for the students. I also thought it would be good to show students more about what we as teachers do as an effort to learn and improve our lessons and practices. I think it can be good for the students to understand the additional work that you do in an effort to help them understand the material. 

I wanted the final image to reflect the structure of the Cornell Notes process itself. I included the two black ribbons as a means to break up the space just as in the notes. I even tried to replicate the appropriate information in the sections. I included images with each step of the process that were meant to represent each step. Reflect has a mirror, Reduce has an apple that a slice has been removed. 

I think it is important to really consider the meaning and purpose of the professional development so that the image can reflect on that purpose. I really think this image will be useful in my classes. I will have to remember to consider the format in response to type of image created for the following images.

I really feel that my connection to this material has been dramatically energized by working with information using artistic practices. I am certainly more familiar with it by organizing it and composing it in such a way as to make it relate able to my students. Although I certainly committed far more time than was required by the professional development program, my comprehension of the material  has been enhanced greatly due to the additional research of power points and online resources in an effort to make a more meaningful illustration. 

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Easily to follow and understand. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. What a stimulating way to put this all together. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this poster available for purchase? I found it on a pinterest board (uncredited) and did some sleuthing to track it back to you. I am a high school librarian and would like to use this image.

    ReplyDelete